Senior Landscape Architect
KDI is currently seeking a senior landscape architect with significant project management experience overseeing work from master planning through construction. This is an opportunity for someone with 8-10 years of experience to play a large role in design direction, the establishment of office standards and mentoring of junior staff. We are looking for someone who is first and foremost an excellent designer, has experience in public work, and is capable of taking on a leadership role.
This is a fantastic opportunity to help build a practice that places equal value on design process, representation techniques, planting design and the link between design and social justice. The work focuses on public projects primarily in Southern California.
The candidate will work in a highly collaborative interdisciplinary studio environment of 20 people that includes landscape architects, urban planners, fabricators, artists, community organizers, and program development specialists.What you’ll do:
How you’ll work in a team:
- Design direction for public projects
- Lead the coordination of design and engineering sub-consultants such as architect, structural engineer, MEP, Civil and Irrigation.
- Work on all phases from concept through construction administration Manage team production of construction details, specifications, drawing sets, and presentation packages
- Develop technical solutions
- Evaluate and select materials and products
- Lead clients in project meetings
- Manage project timeline and budget
- Frequent travel to local job sites in Coachella Valley by car (1-4 times per month)
Experience we’re seeking:
- Coordinate with KDI’s Planning and Community teams to design participatory engagement frameworks
- Work with artists to develop custom sculpture and wayfinding
- Develop design of public spaces around community identified amenities and programs
- Mentor junior design staff
- Potential international opportunities to collaborate with Nairobi, Kenya office
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience working in a landscape architecture firm.
- MLA or BLArch
- Significant experience in coordination and management of multi-disciplinary project teams
- Experience with local design and permitting processes, submittals, and ordinances
- Knowledge of Southern California plant communities
- Licensed landscape architect
Compensation and Quality of Life:
- Significant AutoCAD experience
- Proficient hand drawing
- Proficiency in Adobe CS
- Knowledge of Rhino and VRay, a plus.
- Management of excel spreadsheets for staffing and budgeting
- File management for construction administration
- Excellent communication skills
- Bilingual (Spanish-English), a plus.
KDI actively seeks to create a well-balanced and responsive work environment. We offer competitive compensation and paid time off, as well as benefits such as group health insurance and opportunities for professional development and assistance with licensure.
How to Apply:
Send electronic copy of cover letter, résumé, portfolio and three (3) references to: email@example.com.
Subject heading: Senior Landscape Architect: Your Name