Architectural Design Coordinator
Position: Architectural Design Coordinator
Proposed start date: October 2019 ideally
Office Location: Kenyatta Market, Nairobi, Kenya
Apply before: September 30th 2019
KDI is seeking a dedicated architect with good project management experience, an interest low-cost but high-impact design, and someone to oversee architectural work from concept through to construction. This is an opportunity for someone with 4-8 years of experience to play an important role in design development and help to mentor junior staff. We are looking for someone who is an excellent designer, has experience or keen interest in community development, and is capable of delivering high-quality work.
This is a great opportunity to be a part of an organization that values design and construction work that is distributive and advances equity. The work focuses on community-based projects primarily in Kibera and in the area surrounding Kibera.
The candidate will work in a highly collaborative interdisciplinary studio environment of 20 people that includes landscape architects, urban planners, architects, engineers, community organizers, and researchers.
What you’ll do:
• Design direction for architecture in the office
• Work with department leads to coordinate project teams
• Coordinate project partner organizations or sub-consultants such as structural engineer, civil and QS
• Work on all phases from concept through construction administration
• Manage team production of construction details, specifications, drawing sets, and presentation packages
• Construction administration and on-site supervision of site works.
• Develop technical solutions
• Evaluate and select materials and products
• Lead project meetings
• Contribute to development of BoQ for design costing, in conjunction with the wider design team
• Engage with governmental partners as required
• Manage project timelines and budgets
• Frequent visits to sites in Kibera, across Nairobi, and potentially further
• Lead the development of physical maintenance guidelines for architecture elements of projects in coordination with the wider design team.
• Work on multiple design and construction projects simultaneously.
How you’ll work in a team:
• Coordinate with KDI’s Community and Research teams to design participatory engagement frameworks
• Develop design of structures based on community identified needs, programs and priorities
• Mentor junior design staff and partake in office meetings, discussion and activities
• Potential international opportunities to collaborate with KDI’s Los Angeles, USA office
Experience we’re seeking:
• Minimum of four (4) years of professional experience
• A university degree or Masters in Architecture
• Preferably licensed or close to being licensed (Kenya)
• Experience in multi-disciplinary project teams
• Experience in project management
• Experience with Nairobi design and approvals processes, submittals, and ordinances
• AutoCAD experience (preferable)
• Hand drawing
• Proficiency in Adobe CS
• Knowledge of Rhino and/or Revit, a plus.
• Management of excel spreadsheets and budgeting
• File management for construction administration
• Excellent communication skills
• Bilingual (Swahilli-English), a plus.
Compensation and Quality of Life:
KDI actively seeks to create a well-balanced and responsive work environment. We offer competitive compensation and paid time off, as well as benefits such as health insurance and opportunities for professional development and assistance with licensure.
How to Apply:
Send electronic copy of 1) a cover letter that includes relevant experience, achievements, and interest in KDI; (2) CV; (3) a portfolio that includes design projects, duration of design, and project description to; (4) three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email subject heading should be as follows:
KDI Architect [your name]
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or medical condition.