Communications and Development Associate
Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI)
is a collective of diverse urbanists—architects, landscape architects, urban planners, community organizers, and engineers— united by our shared commitment to building equity, justice, and resilience in communities through design. A BIPOC- and woman-led firm founded in 2006, KDI comprises 50 professionals working from four offices: Los Angeles, Eastern Coachella Valley, Nairobi, and Stockholm.POSITION SUMMARY
The Communications and Development Associate will work across teams and report to members of the Senior Management, including the Development Director in our Kenya Office. The successful candidate must be willing to travel and work from our Kenya office for a few weeks each year. The candidate must be an innovative and strategic thinker, who will support the design and implementation of KDI's communications and fundraising / development strategies. This is a tremendous opportunity for an emerging communications and development leader to strengthen and build the evolving, internal capacity of a highly innovative, dynamic, and high-impact organization, as well as advance their professional capabilities.RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implement both internal and external communications protocols.
- Liaise with external communication consultants as necessary.
- Implement a social media strategy, developing social media content, and building an online audience.
- Draft content for and oversee management of online communications (website, newsletter, blog, and social media) to drive interest, awareness and support for KDI.
- Compose strong, effective internal and external communications content and correspondence with audience-specific styles, at the same time ensuring key message alignment.
- Lead the development and distribution of promotional materials such as annual reports, flyers, marketing collateral, presentations and handouts for a broad range of internal (staff, board members, etc.) and external (funders, donors, news media, etc.) audiences.
- Develop presentations, including talking points, PowerPoints, and other materials for the Executive Director that advance public awareness and support of KDI.
Other Duties as Requested
- Lead bi-weekly business development meetings and track business development opportunities.
- Maintain and build fund development best practices, systems, procedures, and policies.
- Manage data processing, tracking, and recognition systems for donors, including donor correspondence, donor database management, and gifts processing.
- Research, prepare, and write grant proposals and reports in coordination with program staff.
- Assist in the coordination of internal and external cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship materials (letters, emails, invitations, donor newsletters/updates, thank-you notes, etc.).
- Develop annual and multiyear fundraising plans with measurable outcomes and benchmarks.
- Other development, communications, and administrative duties, as assigned.
- BA or Master's degree from an accredited college or university
- 1+ years of professional experience in the non-profit sector, a plus
- Excellent written communication skills (English); ability to compose, edit, and proofread materials
- Development experience a plus
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
HOW TO APPLY
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent project management and planning skills.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and execute multiple projects within deadlines; self-motivated
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment; highly organized
- Outstanding verbal communication skills with a wide variety of internal and external audiences
- A strategic thinker with a proactive approach to problem solving
- Willingness to travel and to communicate cross-culturally and across multiple time zones
- Ability to develop written materials for different audiencesPersonal qualities of integrity and dedication to the mission of KDI
Send electronic copy of cover letter, résumé, three (3) references, and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject heading
: Communications + Development Associate: Your NameAll qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or medical condition. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.