: Communications and Development AssociateLocation
: Los Angeles, CAOrganization
: Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI)Job Opening
: January 2021Closing date
: Until filled
The Communications and Development Associate will be a collaborative coordinator, report to the Executive Director (ED), and work closely with the Associate Director, and Design and Planning Directors. The successful candidate must be willing to travel and work from our Kenya office for a few weeks each year. The candidate must be an innovative and strategic thinker, who will support the design and implementation of KDI's communications and fundraising / development strategies. This is a tremendous opportunity for an emerging communications and development leader to strengthen and build the evolving, internal capacity of a highly innovative, dynamic, and high-impact organization, as well as advance their professional capabilities.Responsibilities
- Develop and implement both internal and external communications protocols.
- Crafting and implement a social media strategy, developing social media content, and building an online audience.
- Draft content for and oversee management of online communications (website, newsletter, blog, and social media) to drive interest, awareness and support for KDI.
- Compose strong, effective internal and external communications content and correspondence with audience-specific styles, at the same time ensuring key message alignment.
- Lead the development and distribution of promotional materials such as annual reports, flyers, marketing collateral, presentations and handouts for a broad range of internal (staff, board members, etc.) and external (funders, donors, news media, etc.) audiences.
- Develop presentations, including talking points, PowerPoints, and other materials for the Executive Director that advance public awareness and support of KDI.
Other Duties as Requested
- Maintain and build fund development best practices, systems, procedures, and policies.
- Manage data processing, tracking, and recognition systems for donors, including donor correspondence, donor database management, and gifts processing.
- Research, prepare, and write grant proposals and reports in coordination with program staff.
- Assist in the coordination of internal and external cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship materials (letters, emails, invitations, donor newsletters/updates, thank-you notes, etc.)
- Develop annual and multiyear fundraising plans with measurable outcomes and benchmarks.
- Train and coach KDI staff and volunteer leaders in fundraising strategies, cultivation, and solicitation.
- Help build an organization-wide culture of philanthropy.
Qualifications + Experience
- Assist Executive Director with scheduling and logistics as needed.
- Other development, communications, and administrative duties, as assigned.
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university
- Three+ years of professional experience in the non-profit sector
- Excellent written communication skills (English); ability to compose, edit, and proofread materials
- Development experience a plus
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
How to Apply:
- Excellent project management and planning skills. Strong attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and execute multiple projects within deadlines; self-motivated
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment; highly organized
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with a wide variety of internal and external audiences
- A strategic thinker with a proactive approach to problem solving
- Willingness to travel and to communicate cross-culturally and across multiple time zones
- Ability to develop written materials for different audiences
- Personal qualities of integrity and dedication to the mission of KDI
Send electronic copy of cover letter, résumé, three (3) references, and writing sample to: email@example.com
Communications + Development Associate: Your NameAbout KDI:
KDI is a non-profit design and community development organization. We collaborate with under-resourced communities to advance equity and activate the unrealized potential in neighborhoods and cities. We accomplish this mission through advocacy, research, planning, and built works.We have been recognized for our innovative approach to participatory design by notable institutions such as MIT, The Rockefeller Foundation, UN-Habitat, The California Endowment, Ashoka Changemakers, Smithsonian Institute, IDEO, The Atlantic Renewal Project, and Swiss Re Foundation.