KDI is currently seeking a Community Associate for the Eastern Coachella Valley who is passionate about community-driven design and development, to support the organization’s continued work in the region. The position is based in the Coachella Valley. We are looking for someone who knows the communities of the Eastern Coachella Valley intimately and is eager to help residents create positive change in their communities. A candidate with a commitment to and experience in advancing social, economic, and environmental justice is highly desired. This is a fantastic opportunity for a highly motivated and creative self-starter to work in a collaborative, interdisciplinary, growing organization on a range of project types.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: COMMUNITY OUTREACH – 35%
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT – 35%
- Work with and support Project manager and fellow Community team members in implementing outreach plans for our projects in the Eastern Coachella Valley.
- Outreach consists of phone calls to residents, door-knocking, partner meetings, passing out flyers, ‘meeting people where they are’, and more.
- Occasional heavy lifting may be required, however never more than ~30lbs.
- Due to long distances between the areas where we work, you will need to provide your own transportation, however mileage is reimbursed
MONITORING + EVALUATION – 15%
- Work with and support KDI community partners in the Eastern Coachella Valley to improve capacity and build self-sufficiency.
- Support programming by facilitating and deploying “in the field” community engagement.
- Assist the KDI design and planning teams to implement, facilitate, and document community workshops for our public space design and construction processes
- Attend meetings to support the formation and development of community-led programs
- Provide data recording and input management for all community engagement and workshops including taking detailed minutes, tracking of community decision-making, photo documentation, etc.
- Attend project-related and coalition building meetings in the Coachella Valley and Los Angeles, as needed.
OFFICE OPERATIONS + COMMUNICATION – 15%
- Lead as field coordinator for project monitoring and evaluation in Oasis, North Shore, and Thermal.
- Serve as primary liaison between field work and LA office to ensure management and coordination of survey, interviews, and other project monitoring tools.
- Lead a team of community members in conducting resident surveys.
- Travel to LA once a week with the ECV office to attend weekly office-wide meetings
- Participate in meetings and phone calls to discuss business development opportunities and project work planning with KDI staff as needed
- Be open to working flexible hours, including weekends and after 6pm, as needed
- Background in community organizing or community programming a plus
- Fluency in English and Spanish (written and verbal)
- Comfortable with public speaking, leading workshops, resident relationship building and talking with people of all backgrounds
- 1-3 years of experience in a formal work setting
- Experience living or working in the Eastern Coachella Valley
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills
- Experience conducting community surveys and data management and meeting facilitation, a plus
Send an electronic copy of your cover letter and resume to Tony Korkunis at firstname.lastname@example.org