Job Title: Design Intern
Organization: Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI)
Closing date: May 16th
Are you a graduate architect or a recently graduated design professional with an interest in community development? Kounkuey Design Initiative is offering a 6-month paid internship program for recent graduates interested in acquiring hands on experience in participatory design and community development.
KDI is currently seeking a design graduate student with an interest in community development to support our growing team in Nairobi, Kenya. This is a fantastic opportunity for a highly motivated and creative self-starter to work directly with vulnerable communities throughout Kibera on a wide range of tasks. The candidate will work in a highly collaborative interdisciplinary environment of architects, landscape architects, urban planners, community organizers, and construction and fabrication teams.
- Work in collaboration with design, construction, and community teams
- Ability to work well with others in a diverse, open-office environment
- Successfully meet schedules and critical deadlines
- Have a positive attitude and willingness to develop as a professional
- Be detail-oriented and well organized
- Assist in preparing workshop presentations and construction packages
- Join site visits to projects in Kibera with our community and design team
- Generate plan, section, elevation, and detail drawings (in AutoCad as a preference)
- Build 3D models and take renders (in Rhino as a preference)
- Assist in compiling project documentation, reports, and specifications
- Work in collaboration with design and construction teams to create schedules, compile specifications, and assemble preliminary budgets.
- Report to Design Department Lead with regular consultation and review with Design Associates.
Qualifications and Experience
- A relevant design degree
- Excellent design and graphic skills
- Excellence in AutoCAD and the Adobe CS
- Proficiency in English and Kiswahili
- Interest in community participatory design
- Kenyan citizenship required for this position
How to Apply:
Interested parties should submit (1) a cover letter that includes relevant experience, achievements, and interest in social development; (2) CV; and (3) a portfolio that includes design projects, duration of design, and project description in PDF format. Please note that we will only be accepting electronic submissions and will only be contacting the most qualified applicants to schedule a formal interview.
Please use “Design Intern Application” in the Subject Line.
Interested candidates should submit to:
Jack Campbell Clause, Senior Design Coordinator