Job Title: Director of Finance & Administration
Organization: Kounkuey Design Initiative, Kenya (KDI)
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Start Date: Immediate
Closing Date: When Filled
Kounkuey Design Initiative is seeking a Director of Finance & Administration to add to our team in Nairobi. This is a great opportunity for a creative, highly motivated professional to work directly with people in under-resourced communities, advance equity and support community-driven development.
The Director of Finance and Administration will be a strategic thought leader alongside the Directors of KDI’s Kenya office, and report to the Global directorship. The successful candidate will be a hands-on, participative manager that will lead and develop an internal team to support the following areas: finance, business development, planning and budgeting, human resources, administration, operations and IT.
The Director of Finance and Administration will play a critical role in partnering with the Kenyan and Global Directorship. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
- Analyse and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead the annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Global directorship.
- Administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep the Directorship abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Effectively collaborate with programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not have finance backgrounds.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors.
- Effectively communicate, build and manage strategic relationships with external stakeholders, funders and other partners.
Human Resources, Technology and Administration
- Further develop and maintain KDI Nonprofit’s human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training, and recruiting in coordination with Global Team, Office Directors and Senior Coordinators.
- Ensure that recruiting processes are consistent and streamlined according to overall strategy, projects, budgets and resources,in coordination with Global Team, Office Directors and Senior Coordinators.
- Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies, and procedures.
- Stewardship of the organisation’s assets and software.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
- Oversee the recruitment, induction, training, support, and development of KDI Kenya staff for their department.
- Prioritize capacity strengthening staff under direct line management with diverse educational, professional and life backgrounds and experiences.
Public Relations and Communications
- Maintain a public role as a point of reference for internal and external relations for KDI Kenya on behalf of the Finance and Administration Department, as well as the wider organization.
- Be available for regional and international travel as required.
Qualifications & Skills
How to Apply
- Minimum of CPA-K/BCom Accounting or related degree.
- Minimum seven to ten years of professional experience; at least six years of broad financial and operations management experience.
- The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area, and has preferably overseen a human resources function previously.
- A track record in grants management.
- Technologically savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- Commitment to training programs that maximize individual and organization goals across the organization including best practices in human resources activities.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Strong team-player skills and the ability to ensure that policies are carried out across multiple countries.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of KDI Nonprofit.
- Quickbooks Desktop, Microsoft Office, Dropbox file management, Google Docs, Google Sheets, Gmail & Google Calender.
Send an electronic copy of your cover letter, CV, and three (3) references to Ian Leong, Director of Finance and Admin at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject heading: Director of Finance & Administration: Your Name.
KDI is a non-profit design and community development organization. We collaborate with under-resourced communities to advance equity and activate the unrealized potential in neighborhoods and cities. We accomplish this mission through advocacy, research, planning, and built works. We have been recognized for our innovative approach to participatory design by notable institutions such as Architectural League of New York, World Resources Institute, MIT, The Rockefeller Foundation, UN-Habitat, The California Endowment, Ashoka Changemakers, Smithsonian Institute, IDEO, The Atlantic Renewal Project, and Swiss Re Foundation.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or medical condition.