Job Title: Landscape Design Associate
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Organization: Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI)
Job Opening: May 2021
Closing date: When Filled
KDI is currently seeking a Landscape Design Associate to add to our growing team of 15 in downtown Los Angeles, CA. This is a fantastic opportunity for a creative, hands-on self-starter to work directly with under-resourced communities throughout Southern California and the U.S.. The candidate will work in a highly collaborative interdisciplinary studio environment including landscape designers, urban planners, artists, community organizers, and program development specialists. The candidate should excel in design thinking with strong representation skills.Job Responsibilities:
- Support the design of projects including vacant lot transformations, site-scale architecture, parks, river greenways, healthy living neighborhood planning and affordable housing campuses.
- Site renderings/illustrations in Illustrator and Photoshop
- Rhino and Physical modeling
- Hand drawing / sketching
- Material / code research
- Assist with CAD drawings for schematic through construction documentation
- Assist with community workshop design and facilitation
- Record meeting minutes and photograph community meetings
- Frequent travel to local job sites in Southern California by car
- Support project managers (Senior Design and Design Coordinators)
How to Apply:
- Degree in Landscape Architecture
- 1+ years relevant work experience
- Excellent skills in Adobe CS, Rhino and VRay
- Excellent skills in AutoCAD and Construction Documentation
- Proficient hand drawing
- Strong commitment to social justice
- Driver’s license required
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish is a plus, but not required
Send electronic copy of cover letter, résumé, portfolio and three (3) references to: LAJobs@kounkuey.org with subject heading: Landscape Design Associate: Your Name.
Portfolio should highlight your design exploration and experience with CAD or construction documentation.
KDI is a non-profit design and community development organization. We collaborate with under-resourced communities to advance equity and activate the unrealized potential in neighborhoods and cities. We accomplish this mission through advocacy, research, planning, and built works. We have been recognized for our innovative approach to participatory design by notable institutions such as Architectural League of New York, World Resources Institute, MIT, The Rockefeller Foundation, UN-Habitat, The California Endowment, Ashoka Changemakers, Smithsonian Institute, IDEO, The Atlantic Renewal Project, and Swiss Re Foundation.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or medical condition.We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.