Landscape Design CoordinatorLocation:
Los Angeles, CAOrganization:
Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI)Salary Range:
$64,500 to $75,000Job Opening:
January 2023Closing Date:
When FilledKounkuey Design Initiative (KDI)
is a collective of diverse urbanists—architects, landscape architects, urban planners, community organizers, and engineers—united by our shared commitment to building equity, justice, and resilience in communities through design. A BIPOC and woman-led firm founded in 2006, KDI comprises nearly 50 professionals working from four offices: Los Angeles, Eastern Coachella Valley, Nairobi, and Stockholm.Job Description
KDI is currently seeking a Landscape Design Coordinator
to help design projects that advance racial, environmental, economic, and physical equity in neighborhoods and cities across Southern California. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about building community power in low-income communities of color, and is interested in working with residents on design, planning, and policy projects to create positive change in their neighborhoods and beyond.
The Landscape Design Coordinator will work in a highly collaborative interdisciplinary studio environment including urban planners, industrial designers, community organizers, and program development specialists. The candidate should excel in design thinking with strong representation skills. The Landscape Design Coordinator will work on a range of projects, from designing parks and shade structures, to gender equity research, to the development of community engagement activities for environmental justice campaigns.
We’re committed to the health and safety of our staff and all of the people we work with, many of whom have been disproportionately affected by the pandemic. We will work with the Landscape Design Coordinator to revise the Duties and Responsibilities listed below as needed, so they can be carried out safely based on the latest public health guidelines.Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the design of projects including vacant lot transformations, site-scale architecture, parks, river greenways, healthy living neighborhood planning and affordable housing campuses
- Create site renderings, illustrations, and 3D models for a variety of scales and design types
- Assist with CAD drawing set creation for schematic through construction documentation Assist with community workshop design and facilitation, and create innovative outreach and engagement strategies rooted in community and accessibility
- Be a strong communicator, graphically and verbally
How to Apply
- 1-3 years’ experience with landscape architectural design work
- Fluency in Spanish strongly preferred
- Degree in Landscape Architecture
- Available to work flexible hours, including weekends and after 6 pm, as needed
- Comfortable leading or supporting community workshops
- Excellent skills in Adobe CS and Rhino
- Excellent skills in AutoCAD
- Strong commitment to social justice
- Driver’s license required; must be willing and able to travel by car to meetings, events, etc.
Send an electronic copy of your cover letter, resume, and work samples/portfolio with three references to email@example.com.Subject heading: Landscape Design Coordinator: Your NameKDI is a multi-ethnic, inclusive, anti-racist organization that reflects the countries and communities in which we work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, disability, marital status or medical condition.