: Operations Planning AssociateLocation
: Downtown Los AngelesOffice Hours
: 9am – 6pmOrganization
: Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI)Job Opening
: ASAPClosing date
: When Filled
Kounkuey Design Initiative is looking for an exceptional individual to fill the role of Operations Planning Associate
. This is a new position within a dynamic and growing organization. The ideal candidate will be interested in and knowledgeable of the design and community development professions, and excited to take on the challenge of developing this position and support the growth of the overall organization.ORGANIZATION
Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI) is an award winning non-profit design and community development organization that partners with communities living in extreme poverty to physically transform degraded environments, grow economic resilience, and build social cohesion. KDI started in Kenya in 2006 as a partnership with residents to explore the potential of public space to transform underserved neighborhoods into thriving communities. The resulting Kibera Public Space Project has grown into a network of active and attractive community hubs that meet residents' most pressing needs of clean water, decent sanitation, income generating opportunities, and education.
KDI believes participatory design and long-term investment are key to sustainable development. Working collaboratively with communities from conception through implementation, KDI enhances their ideas with technical knowledge and creativity, and connects them to extant resources. KDI has since used the participatory model developed in Kibera to work with communities in Haiti, Ghana, Los Angeles and the Coachella Valley in California.POSITION SUMMARY
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a highly analytic and technically skilled operations planning professional to instill a forward looking projection discipline, in a highly innovative, dynamic and high-impact organization in both the US and Kenya Offices. The successful candidate will have five years of forecasting, operations or financial planning experience, including model building and experience gathering data, developing forecasts and presenting projections to executive teams and external stakeholders. The successful candidate will ideally have experience in a complex organization that has multiple product/service lines and revenue sources. Reporting to the Global Director of Finance and Administration, the Operations Planning Associate will be a hands-on and collaborative manager and will lead and develop team discipline in project and practice management as well as own the annual $3-4 million global financial forecast.RESPONSIBILITIES Project Management
- Prepare and update project labor and direct expense budgets (by week for the duration of the project).
- Update project budgets with prior month actuals and reforecast staff hours and direct expenses monthly.
- Implement a robust project management / reporting system.
- Monthly review, analysis and clear presentation of project reports to Sr. Management with explanations of variance versus budget and forecast for hours worked and direct expenses.
- Administer and review all project plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep Design and Planning Directors abreast of each project’s financial status.
Global Financial Forecasting and Planning
- Ensure timely client invoicing and collections; provide accounting with supporting materials to invoice clients.
- Ensure timely bill payment with regular review and approval of authorized project purchases.
- Log direct expense transactions into project registers including accounting codes (project, donor/client as well as general ledger account codes) from project personnel for project expenses and provide to accounting in a timely fashion.
- Provide supporting materials to accounting to prepare timely donor/grant financial reports.
- Monthly preparation, analysis and clear presentation of global income and expense reports to Sr. Management with explanations of variance versus budget and forecast for hours worked and direct expenses.
- Prepare the quarterly reforecast based on the latest project forecasts and prior period actual revenues/expenses in coordination with Project Management, Accounting and the Executive and Associate Directors.
- Prepare the annual $3-4 million global income/expense budget and quarterly income/expense global reforecasts in collaboration with Accounting and the Executive and Associate Directors.
- Effectively communicate and present critical financial matters to Sr. Management.
- Order, install and update full-service Dell PCs in the office.
- Manage network connectivity, network printers and PC-based video conferencing.
- Evaluate, purchase and install general software productivity tools that are required for the office (Harvest, Asana, Dropbox, Microsoft Project, etc.)
- Assist design and planning colleagues with troubleshooting network integration issues with their specialized software (Autodesk, Rhino, ArcGIS, etc.)
- Minimum of a B.A., ideally with a major in Mathematics, Engineering, or other quantitative discipline.
- Five years professional experience; ideally four years of operations planning and forecasting experience.
- Advanced proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite, in particular Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Strong Excel skills – experience importing large quantities of data into Excel to support regular reporting versus project plans/budgets: familiar with use of pivot tables, vlookup, index and indirect functions.
- Strong modeling skills – expert ability to use Excel to create weekly project resource plans (Gantt charts), generate regular actual variance to plan reports, and particularly to build forecast and planning models.
- Ability to translate forecasting and technical concepts to — and to effectively collaborate with — programmatic, fundraising and accounting colleagues who do not necessarily have similarly strong quantitative backgrounds.
- A record of accomplishment in operations/manufacturing/distribution or construction planning and scheduling.
- Experience with project management concepts and familiarity with related software (e.g. Microsoft Project).
- Technology savvy - experience with 1) Windows operating system, 2) LAN office networking operations and 3) selecting software systems.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- A successful record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable meaningful data interpretation versus simple reporting and enable sound decision making.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with a wide variety of internal and external audiences.
- A proactive approach to problem solvingWillingness to travel locally and to communicate across multiple time zones.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of KDI
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to Tony Korkunis, Director of Finance and Administration at email@example.com.