Senior Landscape Architect
Job Title: Senior Landscape Architect
Location: Downtown Los Angeles or Eastern Coachella Valley / Remotely during COVID Pandemic
Organization: Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI)
Job Opening: January 2020
Closing date: When Filled
KOUNKUEY DESIGN INITIATIVE is currently seeking a senior landscape architect with significant project management experience overseeing work from master planning through construction. We’re looking for someone to play a large role in setting design direction, realizing built work, establishing office standards, and mentoring junior staff. We are looking for someone who is first and foremost an excellent designer, has experience in public interest work, and is capable of taking on a leadership role.
This is a fantastic opportunity to help build a practice that places equal value on design excellence, design process, representation techniques, planting design and the link between design and social justice. The work focuses on public projects in Southern California and Philadelphia with opportunities to engage with the work of the KDI office in Nairobi.
The candidate will work in a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary studio environment of 20 people that includes landscape designers, urban planners, fabricators, artists, community organizers, and program development specialists.
What you’ll do:
• Collaborate on design direction for public projects
• Lead the coordination of design and engineering sub-consultants such as architect, structural engineer, MEP engineer, civil engineer and irrigation
• Work on all phases from concept through construction administration
• Manage team production of construction details, specifications, drawing sets, and presentation packages
• Develop technical solutions
• Lead the evaluation and selection of materials and products
• During construction, travel to local job sites in Coachella Valley by car (1-4 times per month)
• Contribute to developing new projects throughout California and potentially in other cities across the country
How you’ll work in a team:
• Contribute to KDI’s leadership
• Mentor junior design staff
• Coordinate with KDI’s Design, Planning and Community teams to design participatory design frameworks
• Work with external partners or subconsultants such as artists to develop custom sculptures and wayfinding elements
• Potential international opportunities to collaborate with KDI’s Nairobi, Kenya office
Experience we’re seeking:
• Registered Landscape Architect in California
• Ten (10) years of experience working in a landscape architecture firm or experience designing and building seven (7) public realm landscape architecture projects in Southern California, minimum
• BLArch, minimum
• Successful coordination and management of multi-disciplinary project teams
• Experience with local design and permitting processes, submittals, vendors and ordinances
• Knowledge of Southern California plant communities
• Significant AutoCAD experience
• Proficient hand drawing
• Proficiency in Adobe CS
• Management of excel spreadsheets for staffing and budgeting
• File management for construction administration
• Excellent communication skills
Compensation and Quality of Life:
KDI actively seeks to create a well-balanced and responsive work environment. We offer competitive compensation and paid time off, as well as benefits such as group health insurance, 401(k) plan, opportunities for professional development and more.
How to Apply:
Send electronic copy of cover letter, résumé, sample portfolio and three (3) references to: email@example.com.
Subject heading: Senior Landscape Architect: Your Name
Kounkuey Design Initiative is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions at KDI are based on business needs, job requirements and merit, without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national, social or ethnic origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital, civil union or partnership status, citizenship status or other characteristics protected by federal, state or local law. KDI will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.