Job Title: Planning Associate
Organization: Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI)
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Start Date: Flexible
Closing date: When Filled
KOUNKUEY DESIGN INITIATIVE is seeking a Planning Associate to add to our growing team of 18 staff in Los Angeles, CA. This is a great opportunity for a creative, highly motivated recent graduate or early career professional to work directly with people in under-resourced communities to advance equity and support community-driven development. The position is based in our downtown Los Angeles office, and may involve travel to our projects in the Eastern Coachella Valley, other areas of California, and other cities across the U.S.
- The Planning Associate will work closely with the Planning, Design, and Community Departments, local residents, government officials, and other stakeholders to support a wide range of projects and topics, including:
- Participatory design and temporary activation of public spaces, from vacant lots to large parks
- Economic and social development programs, such as two womens' food collectives we have helped organize in the Eastern Coachella Valley
- Gender equity in planning and design, which we currently are exploring through needs assessments, a World Bank publication, and a design studio
- Community-driven mobility planning
- Leadership development / capacity building for residents in under-resourced communities on improving the built environment
- Research on topics such as green schoolyards and climate change adaptation in low-income communities of color
- Master’s degree in Urban Planning or related field
- 1-3 years experience in community development, policy advocacy, economic development, urban planning, or related field
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Experience meeting deadlines, juggling multiple tasks, and taking initiative to solve problems
- Strong commitment to social justice
- Fluent in Spanish (verbal and written) preferred
- Driver’s license required
How to Apply
Please submit an electronic copy of the following:
- Cover letter and CV
- Short writing sample (2-3 pages)
- 3 references
Please send to LAjobs@kounkuey.org with the subject heading: "Planning Associate: [Your name]".
KDI is a non-profit design and community development organization. We collaborate with under-resourced communities to advance equity and activate the unrealized potential in neighborhoods and cities. We accomplish this mission through advocacy, research, planning, and built works.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or medical condition.