: Planning AssociateLocation
: Nairobi, KenyaOrganisation
: Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI)Job Type
: Full Time Job Opening
: Preferably in MarchClosing Date
: February 19th 2024Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI)
is a non-profit design and community development organisation that collaborates with communities to improve their physical, economic, and social quality of life. Our work spans various regions, focusing on participatory design and holistic development.Job Description
We are looking for a versatile self-starter to join our team as a Planning Associate. The ideal candidate will have experience or interest in working with communities in informal settlements, and a background in Urban Planning or Environmental Planning. The candidate will also have an interest in risk, resilience and sustainable development issues within an urban context, with a good understanding of participatory, regulatory, policy and design aspects of planning. Skills in critical thinking, stakeholder engagement, applied research, mapping, writing and presentation are highly desirable for the Planning Associate.
As a Planning Associate you will work to support ongoing and future projects that involve planning, research, design and project implementation.
A summary of the roles, responsibilities and desirable qualities for the position is given below:
- Support and lead projects and tasks for KDI Kenya’s urban or spatial planning related projects and programmes.
- Liaise with Project Leads and Senior Management to support project planning, resourcing, and budgeting.
- Input to quarterly and annual work planning as requested.
- Implement and uphold operational standards in collaboration with Senior Management, Senior Associates and Associates.
- Support engagement with KDI’s community partners for relevant projects and programmes.
- Reporting to the Planning Principal and working closely with both your own department and other Office Departments as needed.
- Coordination with the Global Team as required.
- Participating in international travel as required.
- Any other duty as needed.
Specific responsibilities include:
Qualifications & Skills
- Support overall design and delivery of KDI’s Planning project activities in Kenya and internationally, in collaboration with the senior management team.
- Designing and facilitating creative and engaging workshops with residents, civil society, government partners, and international collaborators.
- Preparing various written outputs e.g. sections of reports, analysis, presentations.
- Providing urban planning and design support as needed.
- Providing spatial planning and spatial data analysis support as needed.
- GIS Mapping and data collection as required.
- Designing and delivering research and data collection to support Planning projects in Kenya and internationally.
- Representing the organisation in public settings, disseminating project findings and outcomes, and managing client and donor relationships.
- Close collaboration across Planning, Research, Design, and Community teams in Kenya and facilitating seamless communication between KDI and community partners.
- Engaging in impact evaluation design, performing data collection, and maintaining project statistics with support from the wider team.
- Supporting business development and fundraising for Planning and Planning related research projects.
How to Apply
- Bachelors or masters degree in Urban Planning or Environmental Planning.
- Excellent mapping and spatial data analysis in ArcGIS, QGIS or other GIS software.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritise, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of KDI nonprofit.
- Excellent technology skills, with proficiency in Google Suite and Adobe applications.
Interested and qualified applicants should submit their applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
no later than February 19th, 2024
. Send an electronic copy of your motivational cover letter, CV, and three (3) references
with subject heading “Planning Associate: <Your Name>
”KDI will not ask candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the application or interview process. Official KDI emails will always be sent from @kounkuey.org email addresses. Please report any suspicious communication to email@example.com (do not send applications to this email address).KDI is a multi-ethnic, inclusive, anti-racist organisation that reflects the countries and communities in which we work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, disability, marital status or medical condition.