Job Title: Planning Intern (Paid)
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Organization: Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI)
Job Opening: Summer 2020 (dates flexible depending on school schedule)
Closing date: When Filled
KOUNKUEY DESIGN INITIATIVE is seeking a summer intern to join our team of 18 people. This is a great opportunity for a creative, highly motivated student or recent graduate to work directly with people in under-resourced communities to advance equity and support community-driven development. The position is based in our downtown Los Angeles office, and may involve travel to our projects in the Eastern Coachella Valley, or other areas of California.
The Planning Intern will work closely with the Planning, Design, and Community Departments, local residents, government officials, and other stakeholders to support a wide range of projects and topics, including:
· Participatory design and temporary activation of public spaces, from vacant lots to large parks
· Economic and social development programs, such as two women’s food collectives we have helped organize in the Eastern Coachella Valley
· Gender equity in planning and design, which we currently are exploring through needs assessments, a World Bank publication, and a design studio
· Community-driven mobility planning
· Leadership development / capacity building for residents in under-resourced communities on improving the built environment
· Green schoolyards and climate change adaptation in low-income communities of color
We will also work with the Planning Intern to develop a self-directed research project that aligns with projects currently in our office.
The Planning Intern will be expected to work from our downtown Los Angeles office full-time.
• Federal Work Study or equivalent financial aid required.
• Undergraduate or graduate-level coursework in Urban Planning or related field
• Commitment to social justice
• Self-motivated; ability to work independently
• Analytical or research abilities
• Familiarity with Adobe InDesign and GIS
• Bilingual in English and Spanish (verbal and written) preferred
• Driver’s license required
How to Apply:
Send electronic copy of cover letter, resume, writing sample and three (3) references to: LAJobs@kounkuey.org
Subject heading: Planning Intern: Your Name